Pages

Saturday, July 23, 2011

yummy seasons :)

Those who know me well probably know how excited I get about mango season, particularly in Haiti.  I’m talking mangoes EVERYWHERE; lining the streets in pretty little green & yellow piles, heaped in baskets atop the heads of women en route to market, loaded to capacity in big trucks from the country to the city, the sound of one falling from the blow of a sandal, rock or green mango cast by a young boy or girl, and the smell of them fermenting on the ground during peak season (there are that many).  Mangoes of some forty different strains, varying in shape, size, taste, color & texture, can be found in haiti.  I, of course, have my favorites, but it’s fun to try them all.  Another thing that makes mango season in Haiti better than anywhere else is that you can buy a whole big pile of ‘em for about fifty cents (that and people are always gifting them)!  I almost live on mangoes alone through the months of January - July in Haiti.   

And just when I’m about to turn into a mango… avocados come to the rescue!  Mango season is petering out now & the avos are starting to roll in (the absolutely best time ever) here in haiti.  Since the day I spotted the first avocado in the street about a week ago (the lady selling stuff had only one &, after doing a double-take, I turned around to snag it up) I have, no lie, been thriving pretty much solely on avocados an mangoes.  It’s just too friggin’ hot for me to eat a plate of hot & heavy rice w/ beans & sauce.  …but a nice avo salad (avo, tomato, onion, olive oil & balsamic vinegar) has been my daily pleasure (maybe next week I’ll switch to guacamole w/ homemade tortillas ;).  And, here, a beautiful rich avocado sells for about 20 cents each.  Eating those imported things in the temperate US just doesn’t do it for me.  Haiti’s got me hooked.    ;)        
       


ps: i borrowed these pics from the web. 

2 comments: