Pages

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

needles and pins

i can't believe this, but i have been in pain for 2 and 1/2 weeks ... ever since i woke up with a stiff neck at that jimjilbang on chuseok weekend. all the meditating [and being struck in the neck with a bamboo stick 6 times by a monk] at the temple stay must have done further damage to my neck and shoulder, because the pain only got worse from there on out.
a stiff neck is usually something that just goes away on its own, but i started to get really sharp, stabbing pains that were almost unbearable. i decided to give acupuncture a shot, since that's the traditional treatment for such ailments here in korea. i tried three different places within a week. i wasn't sure what to expect, but i needed something. the little pins didn't really hurt but i didn't notice any improvement after the first two sessions. the third place i went to, however, made me believe again that it could actually work. the young doctor, dr. ha, obviously loves his job and seems to really know what he's doing. i have been to him 3 times so far and, on each visit, he takes good notes of my progress. he stretches me out and then finds the key problem areas, upon which he proceeds to stick a larger-than-normal pin, deep inside & squeezes (at least that's what it feels like he's doing ... and it doesn't feel good). after the painful part, he then sticks the small pins all over where he sees fit and leaves me to rest under the heat lamps and hot stones for about 20 minutes. he also used suction cups a couple of times and even suctioned some blood out of my shoulder this last time (why not?). at the end of the session, he always tapes my neck for extra support on the muscles, and then he shows me some good stretches to do.
i went on a hiking trip this past weekend, right after my last session, and my neck finally started feeling better. this may be, in part, because i gave in and started taking aspirin when the pain becomes too much, but i think i'm getting somewhere. my students have probably been the most concerned. two of them brought me some cold patches and one, just today, brought me a big hot/cold gel pack that goes around my neck (check it out). plus, they want to massage my shoulders and neck whenever they get a chance. they're the sweetest kids ever. i sure do love them. [heart]
anyway, my poor neck and shoulder feels beat to a complete pulp from all that i've put them through. the thought of another needle or pin going in my tender muscles makes me shudder. i'm going to take a break from dr. ha and go get some soak & sauna at the jimjilbang.

No comments:

Post a Comment